Connect with us

Nigeria News

Man Who Spent 45 Years In Jail For Murder He Didn’t commit gets $1.5m compensation

Published

on

Man Who Spent 45 Years In Jail For Murder He Didn’t commit gets $1.5m compensation 8

 

A former auto worker who spent 45 years in prison for a murder he didn’t commit has been awarded $1.5 million by the US state of Michigan as restitution for his wrongful conviction.

Richard Phillips was convicted in 1972 and sentenced to life in prison “based almost entirely” on the false testimony of one witness, according to prosecutors.

He was 27 when he entered the prison and is now 73.

He was freed in 2018 after the University of Michigan’s Innocence Clinic took up his case and declared him the longest imprisoned innocent man in America.

Phillips maintained his innocence throughout his incarceration.

“I would rather die in prison than to admit to something that I didn’t do,” he told WDIV television last year.

To support himself while waiting for officials to decide restitution, Phillips sold paintings he had made in prison.


The wait ended Friday when Michigan’s top law enforcement official announced the $1.5 million award — the largest of three restitution payments.

“Reentering society is profoundly difficult for wrongfully convicted individuals,” Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel said.

“We have an obligation to provide compassionate compensation to these men for the harm they suffered.”

The state will also pay more than $780,000 to Neal Redick, imprisoned nearly 16 years for sexual assault of a minor, before he was exonerated and released in 2007.

Also, former reserve police officer Raymond McCann will receive approximately $40,000, after he was exonerated of perjury in 2017.

 

RELATED: Insecurity: FG Deployed Arms, Ammunitions From Slovakia.



Kindly subscribe to get the next update,
Just enter your email address below and click SUBSCRIBE

Delivered by SearchNGR



Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Nigeria News

Lagos State Gives New Date for School Resumption

Published

on

Good News for Lagos Residents - Each Resident to Get N5,000

As schools in Lagos state resume academic activities starting from Monday, September 21st, the state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu have instructed pre-primary classes which includes Nursery, Daycare Centers and Kindergarten Classes in both Public and Private schools to remain closed while other classes in private and public schools are to reopen in phases.

Governor Sanwo-Olu made the clarifications regarding resumption during the media briefing on the 18th update on Coronavirus in Lagos. He noted that there are different resumption schedules for public and private schools in the state.

Read Also: Nower July Stipend and Backlogs: No Words from Sadiya and OAGF

According to him, only JSS 3 and SSS 2 students of public schools are to resume physical classes from Monday while other public school classes which include primary school classes, JSS 1, JSS 2 and SSS 1 are to continue their lessons on various distance learning platforms (online, radio, television and WhatsApp) pending the announcement of resumption dates for physical classes which will be made available as soon as the Lagos State Government is satisfied that all necessary resumption protocols have been put in place.


Sanwo-Olu mentioned that this will afford the JSS 3 students to adequately revise and prepare for their forthcoming Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) starting from Tuesday, 6th October to Monday, 12th of October, 2020 while the SSS 2 students prepare effectively for their transition to SSS 3.

Meanwhile, the Governor said all private primary and secondary classes in Lagos State are permitted to resume from Monday. He, however, advised the management of private schools to comply with safety protocols and hygiene guidelines as instructed by the State Government through the Office of Education Quality Assurance (OEQA).

He encouraged them to put safety first by resuming in phases, holding classes on alternate days during the week and utilizing distance learning methods as a complement to physical classes.

Kindly subscribe to get the next update,
Just enter your email address below and click SUBSCRIBE

Delivered by SearchNGR



Continue Reading

Nigeria News

Man City’s Gundogan tests positive for coronavirus

Published

on


Man City’s Gundogan tests positive for coronavirus 9

Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan has tested positive for coronavirus.

The 29-year-old is observing a 10-day self-isolation period, the Premier League club confirmed.

As a result, the Germany international will miss City’s opening league game of the season against Wolves on Monday.


“Everyone at the club wishes Ilkay a speedy recovery,” Manchester City said in a statement.

City winger Riyad Mahrez and defender Aymeric Laporte previously tested positive for Covid-19 but are now back in training.

Pep Guardiola’s side are also due to play Bournemouth in the Carabao Cup on Thursday and Leicester City in the Premier League on Sunday.

Kindly subscribe to get the next update,
Just enter your email address below and click SUBSCRIBE

Delivered by SearchNGR



Continue Reading

Nigeria News

Arsenal sign new goalkeeper ahead of Liverpool clash

Published

on

Arsenal sign new goalkeeper ahead of Liverpool clash 10

Arsenal on Monday announced the signing of a new goalkeeper, Alex Runarsson, ahead of their Premier League clash with Liverpool on September 28.

Runarsson joined the Gunners from French club, Dijon.

Arsenal stated this in a statement via the club’s official website.

The statement reads: “Goalkeeper Alex Runarsson has joined us on a four-year contract from French club Dijon.”


Reacting, Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta told the club’s official website: “We want to create healthy competition for places, and we look forward to seeing Alex bring further depth to the goalkeeping position.”

Runarsson, 25, will wear the number 13 shirt for Arsenal.

The Iceland international made 13 appearances in all competitions for Dijon last season.

NEWS:  Atletico Madrid in talks with Arsenal over Torreira amid Partey interest

Kindly subscribe to get the next update,
Just enter your email address below and click SUBSCRIBE

Delivered by SearchNGR



Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 SearchNGR | A News Aggregator Website | Nigerian Newspapers.