Debate is a process that involve a formal discussion on a particular matter in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward and which usually ends with a vote.
- Apply for Chief Accountants at Sales Force Consulting
- How To Open XLSX File
- How To Transfer Airtime On Glo
- Open Heaven 5th March 2021 RCCG Daily Devotional (The Prayer Of Agreement)
- Apply for Fitter / Dimensional Control at Sevan Construction Nigeria Limited
Steps to start a debate:
Opening the debate:
- [a nice opening is using a quote]
- Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to this debate.
- Welcome from this side of the house…
- The motion for debate today is: … defining the motion:
- Now we as today’s proposition/opposition strongly believe that this is true/not true.
- let us first define some important terms in this debate.
- We believe that what is meant by … is… / that … are …
- When we say … should … we mean that …
Presenting the team-line
- We as today’s proposition/opposition have structured our case as follows:
- I, as the first speaker, will be talking about …
- Our second speaker, …, will elaborate on the fact that …
- And our third speaker, …, will do the rebuttal.
Rebutting arguments, rebuilding your case
- But before I come to my own arguments, let us first have a look at what … has said.
- I will continue our case in a minute, but before that…
- There are some things about the… speech that need to be addressed.
- The first prop/opposition speaker has told us …; on the contrary …
- He/She also said that …; but in fact..
- He/She was claiming that …; but as my first speaker already told you, …
- Let me come to my first/second/…/next argument: [concise label of argument]
- My first/… argument is:
- The first/… reason why we’re prop/opposing this motion is: explaining arguments:
- [rather abstract explanation on how the argument should work] giving examples:
- There are many examples for this/for …, for instance.
- In fact, you can find many examples for this in real life. Just think of…
- And there are similar cases, such as…, …
- So in this simple example we can clearly see the effect of …
- So as we have seen [argument label], and therefore [motion].
- Now because of this …, we have to support this motion.
Summarising & ending your speech
- So Ladies and Gentlemen, what have I told you today? Firstly …, Secondly..
- [some nice closing words]
- And for all of these reasons, the motion must stand/fall.
- Open Heaven 4th August 2021 RCCG Daily Devotional (Arise And Shine)
- University of Helsinki International Scholarship (Finland) 2021-2022
- Open Heaven 3rd August 2021 RCCG Daily Devotional (Perfect Obedience)
- Polaris Bank Recruitment 2021, Careers & Job Vacancies (Entry-level)
- Npower News: August and Npower Nexit package
Opportunities4 days ago
US Diversity Visa Lottery 2021 Application – How to Register
Religion5 days ago
Open Heaven 31st July 2021 RCCG Daily Devotional (What Are Your Priorities)
Nigeria News5 days ago
Submission Of Unbanked Of AFJP Farmers Account Number Still Ongoing
Religion6 days ago
Open Heaven 30th July 2021 RCCG Daily Devotional (The Marks Of The Lord Jesus)
Scholarship5 days ago
Orji Uzor Kalu Foundation Scholarship for Nigerians 2021
Nigeria News5 days ago
Apply for Fan Milk Plc Graduate Trainee Programme 2021
Religion7 days ago
Open Heaven 29th July 2021 RCCG Daily Devotional (The Need For Bodily Exercise)
Education5 days ago
King David University of Medical Sciences (KDUMS) Pre-Degree Admission Form for 2021/2022 Academic Session