Debate is a process that involve a formal discussion on a particular matter in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward and which usually ends with a vote.
- Apply for Chief Accountants at Sales Force Consulting
- How To Open XLSX File
- How To Transfer Airtime On Glo
- Open Heaven 5th March 2021 RCCG Daily Devotional (The Prayer Of Agreement)
- Apply for Fitter / Dimensional Control at Sevan Construction Nigeria Limited
Steps to start a debate:
Opening the debate:
- [a nice opening is using a quote]
- Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to this debate.
- Welcome from this side of the house…
- The motion for debate today is: … defining the motion:
- Now we as today’s proposition/opposition strongly believe that this is true/not true.
- let us first define some important terms in this debate.
- We believe that what is meant by … is… / that … are …
- When we say … should … we mean that …
Presenting the team-line
- We as today’s proposition/opposition have structured our case as follows:
- I, as the first speaker, will be talking about …
- Our second speaker, …, will elaborate on the fact that …
- And our third speaker, …, will do the rebuttal.
Rebutting arguments, rebuilding your case
- But before I come to my own arguments, let us first have a look at what … has said.
- I will continue our case in a minute, but before that…
- There are some things about the… speech that need to be addressed.
- The first prop/opposition speaker has told us …; on the contrary …
- He/She also said that …; but in fact..
- He/She was claiming that …; but as my first speaker already told you, …
- Let me come to my first/second/…/next argument: [concise label of argument]
- My first/… argument is:
- The first/… reason why we’re prop/opposing this motion is: explaining arguments:
- [rather abstract explanation on how the argument should work] giving examples:
- There are many examples for this/for …, for instance.
- In fact, you can find many examples for this in real life. Just think of…
- And there are similar cases, such as…, …
- So in this simple example we can clearly see the effect of …
- So as we have seen [argument label], and therefore [motion].
- Now because of this …, we have to support this motion.
Summarising & ending your speech
- So Ladies and Gentlemen, what have I told you today? Firstly …, Secondly..
- [some nice closing words]
- And for all of these reasons, the motion must stand/fall.
- Open Heaven 20th April 2021 RCCG Daily Devotional (Blessing From Above)
- NMFB Begins Approval of Loans to 2021 Applicants | Here is How to Check
- Open Heaven 19th April 2021 RCCG Daily Devotional (The Children’s Meat)
- Open Heaven 18th April 2021 RCCG Daily Devotional (Divine Contact)
- Open Heaven 17th April 2021 RCCG Daily Devotional (Substituted)
Recruitment6 days ago
How to Check your Name for N-Power Deployment 2021 | Process to Follow for Successful Applicant
Recruitment7 days ago
Nigerian Custom Service Shortlist Names 2021/2022
business7 days ago
How to Apply for WEMA Bank Overseas Study advisory and Loan
Religion5 days ago
Open Heaven 15th April 2021 RCCG Daily Devotional (Divine Favour: What It Does)
Grants4 days ago
Are you a young Nigerian who wants to access up to 5 million Grant to finance your small business?
Education6 days ago
University of Calabar (UNICAL) have allegedly asked Final Year Students to go back to 200-level
Religion6 days ago
Open Heaven 14th April 2021 RCCG Daily Devotional (In His Presence)
Religion4 days ago
Open Heaven 16th April 2021 RCCG Daily Devotional (Divine Intervention)